This slaw is crunchy, refreshing, bright on the tongue, and zings with flavor. I love it on “Stray Dog Fish Tacos” of course, but it’s also pretty amazing served with turkey burgers, grilled fish, and as a side dish on any summer table or picnic blanket. Served with ice-cold Sauvignon Blanc or my new obsession, “Flowers” Chardonnay, and you’re fighting a heatwave with every delicious cold crisp bite and sip.
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage, green is fine too but I happen to love the pop of color against the bright orange of the mango. Purple cabbage is also linked to greater health benefits, so yipBEE!
- 1 cup julienned jicama, plenty of grocery stores sell pre-sliced jicama in the produce section, feel free to cheat here! If you’re doing this at home you’ll need a great chef’s knife, my favorite is linked here or a mandolin for perfect consistent matchsticks. I like to use a special glove when I use a mandoline that protects fingers and skin. When slicing a slippery mango you’ll be happy to have to!
- 1/2 ripe mango, julienned, save the rest of the mango for your dressing and sucking on while you cook.
- A fresh bunch of cilantro chopped
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1-2 imes juiced, taste as you go! This is your dressing, not mine!
- 1/4 cup cubed mango
- Sea salt to taste
Throw all in a blender and blitz!
Drizzle over slaw and allow to marinate at room temp for 20-30 minutes before serving. Store the rest of the dressing in an airtight container in your fridge. You can use the dressing for the next few days, it’s heaven drizzled over pretty much everything, even fish on the grill.
Shop all the tools that will make the PERFECT Jicama Slaw, including my favorite glass Tupperware to store your leftover deliciousness (if there is any)! You may not know this about me but I ever store anything in plastic.
Bee Bytes are tips and tricks featured in Jule’s e-mails. Are you subscribed? Make sure HERE!
Have a question for Jule? Dating getting you down? Friendship in a frenzy? Mother-in-law making you mashugana ?? Nothing is off-limits. Everything is anonymous! Ask The Bee HERE!
All illustrations by @courtneycoloring
*This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click a link and purchase one of my recommendations, I may get a small commission from it at no cost to you…don’t worry! I only refer top-of-the-line, Bee-approved items so you’re in good hands. Read my disclaimer here.